Tuesday 24 March 2009

The first of many

For my first post, I thought that I would celebrate our modern Bible; Vogue, specifically, the editor, a Miss Alexandra Shulman. Sitting in possibly the most covetable seat in the industry, nay, the country, she seems to understand her public. Unlike her American counterpart, Shulman realizes that the majority of people who read Vogue cannot buy the clothes their eyes linger over, especially in this current economic climate. I was delighted to read her editorial this month (April), which opens; "When I was a teenager, I would spend hours poring over the "More Dash Than Cash" pages of Vogue. Not only might I conceivably have been able to afford the clothes, but it was the styling of the models that particularly engaged me". Hurrah!! What an enormous comfit it is to know that someone who works at Vogue is someone who I could relate to! Further more, there is now to be a regular feature on affordable clothes! I remember my excitement when Kate Moss appeared on the front of Vogue in her own collection; and yes, I naturally bought said dress, for who wouldn't want to own an item sprung from a Vogue front cover!? Raking this 'More Dash Than Cash' section, it is true that there are many affordable pieces, granted mostly from TopShop, but the excitement of being able to purchase an item is still very much present. I wonder, however, if this feature is slightly less glamourous than other photo shoots because of the two figure price tags. Maybe such a fashion giant such as Vogue should remain an elitist, unreachable source; something to aim for. Perhaps that by showing these cheaper, less glamourous items, they are in turn demeaning the magazine. 

Overall, I like it, but I do ponder the meaning of fashion. Surely fashion by definition excludes high-street products, as they take their inspiration from the designers. But in this credit crunch, can one afford to be fashionable? Must we all turn to style instead? And by saying that, have I implied that style is fashion's lesser, poorer friend? Or perhaps we must all find our 'inner style' and not squander money on five minute fashion trends. Or maybe finding cheaper alternatives to designer styles will bring out a more inventive, cleaver shopper. One thing is for sure though; that TopShop scarf on page 104 sure looks good...

No comments:

Post a Comment